Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Desire

I stopped everything I was doing a while ago to clear my mind. And this is what I came about: desire. What is desire? Jamieson-Fausset-Brown says it's actually means lust in the original translation. Lust arising from one's own temperament and habit. 

I remembered that film we "watched" in Film100, the old Streetcar Named Desire. The most memorable line would be of course, Stanley Kowalski shouting "Stella!!!!" Haha. The movie's quote on desire:

Blanche DuBois: You're married to a madman. 
Stella: I wish you'd stop taking it for granted that I'm in something I want to get out of.
Blanche DuBois: What you are talking about is desire - just brutal Desire. The name of that rattle-trap streetcar that bangs through the Quarter, up one old narrow street and down another.
Stella: Haven't you ever ridden on that streetcar?
Blanche Du Bois: It brought me here. Where I'm not wanted and where I'm ashamed to be.
Stella: Don't you think your superior attitude is a little out of place?
Blanche DuBois: May I speak plainly?... If you'll forgive me, he's common... He's like an animal. He has an animal's habits. There's even something subhuman about him. Thousands of years have passed him right by, and there he is. Stanley Kowalski, survivor of the Stone Age, bearing the raw meat home from the kill in the jungle. And you - you here waiting for him. Maybe he'll strike you or maybe grunt and kiss you, that's if kisses have been discovered yet. His poker night you call it. This party of apes. 


Blanche was pertaining to Stella's husband Stanley. So what is the movie all about? Blanche ad Stella are sisters. Blanche is crazy, and gets to move in to her sister's house. Now Stanley is a cruel man who plays poker with his buddies in Stella's house. Tension builds up and they find out Blanche is indeed crazy. Worse happened when Stanley rapes Blanche (although it wasn't explicit in the movie). The story ends with Blanche being taken away, and Stanley shouting "STELLAAAA!!" to come back.

Oh desire. That streetcar that comes banging on one street corner, then to another. It takes you to places where you do not want to be, and you regret finding yourself in. Desire, the streetcar headed for destruction.



Note: By desire, I meant lust in this post.

Quote from Streetcar Named Desire from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044081/quotes

No comments:

friends